Sunday, January 3, 2010

Yummy Holidays

Happy New Year!


I hope everyone's holidays were as blessed and beautiful as ours:)

The holidays can most definately be stressful with all the shopping, wrapping entertaining and hectic social schedule.


All the more reason why I like to make Christmas Day and New Year's Day relaxing days where I don't have to be slaving in the kitchen or thinking about what to feed my sweet little family.


So I plan some brunch casseroles that we can eat and pick on all day if need be. My longtime faithful is the Country breakfast casserole. So easy and my hubby's fav!






Forgive the pic, but my fam wastes no time diggin in.



Country Breakfast Casserole


Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package breakfast sausage
1 chopped green onion
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 (2.64 ounce) package country gravy mix (I make my own if I don't have this on hand)
6 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
paprika to taste (optional)



Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 11x8 inch baking dish.
Brown sausage in a large skillet; drain fat.
Combine sausage with green onion and spread evenly across the bottom of the baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Whisk together eggs, water, milk, and gravy mix; add mixture to baking dish. Arrange bread squares evenly on top. If desired, drizzle melted butter over bread, and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside 10 minutes before serving.


Earlier this year I came across this wonderful baked french toast at Whatever and knew it would be perfect with my other casserole.


So easy and quick and absolutely delish!



Baked French Toast


melt 1 stick of butter then add in 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 t. cinnamon and stir together.
pour into a 9x13 pan covering the bottom.


then layer slices of bread on the sugar mixture with the crusts removed.
(it would probably just as good with the crusts on....)
i used 15 pieces of bread.
fill in the holes with smaller pieces.


in a mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups of milk and 6 eggs.
pour over the bread.
that's it.


put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
when it looks baked and golden, pull it out and drizzle syrup over the top.
put it back in the oven under the broiler until brown and bubbly.


Here's my youngest, Quinn enjoying it all!


0 comments: